Tuesday, January 4, 2011

What are resolutions?

What's your view on resolutions? My opinion of whether to make them or not and even what they are has changed over the years, and I think I've finally come up with a definition that works for me. Many times in the past, I've failed at keeping my resolutions because it's just so hard to remember to do them. I've tried making short lists with just one or two things, hoping I will do better. But inevitably, they fall by the wayside. I get tired of feeling like a failure.

This year, I'm looking at my resolutions differently. I don't see them as something I need to be perfect at right from the start. I think that's unfair. My resolutions are habits I want to develop, but they aren't currently part of my daily routine. They are goals I want to progress towards. This view allows me to fall but also requires me to get up, dust myself off and try again. It's a process, a journey. Yes, the purpose is to reach your destination, but you've got to do some travelling first.

No comments:

Post a Comment